Friday, October 3, 2014

Avoiding a Rushed Life

I was reading through a blog post from The Fisk Files today and followed a link to a blog unknown to me called Sipping Lemonade.  Lauren's newest post includes several of her favorite Mother Teresa quotes.  I read through them, and many of them made a noticeable impression on me.  However, one of them highlights a recent realization I had regarding a new phase in my life:  I really don't like to be rushed.  Mother Teresa said:
“Everybody seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater development and greater riches and so on. There is much suffering because there is very little love in homes and in family life. We have no time for our children, we have no time for each other, there is no time to enjoy each other. In the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.”

My family recently moved to a bigger city, and I am feeling the effects of our surroundings.  Things are more rushed here.  Processing all of the extra sites and sounds is taking its toll on me.  I need extra time to calm my senses. 

When I have to move too quickly, I suffer and so does my family.  When internal equilibrium is lacking in my life, whether it be because of lack of sleep, poor nourishment, too much busy-ness, spiritual dryness, or a hurried pace, there is not peace in our household.  Scarcity of peace in our family does not add peace to our community or to the world.

Avoiding a rushed life is about more than just making a better life for myself.  Doing so helps my husband and my two young boys.  It also helps everyone we interact with.

Peace truly does begin with oneself.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment